May 27, 2014

Credit where credit is due...

If you have been reading this blog for a while, my strange love of jumpsuits will be known to you... It should also come as no surprise that, with summer on the way, I am thinking about new warm-weather options...

And I don't think anyone has failed to notice the high number of jumpsuits in stores in the past years. They were mostly there in summer and they're back again. Usually, I don't really like the ones on offer in RTW. Too baggy, too boring, relying too much on stretch or some combination of the above.

However, when I walked past Zara this weekend, I saw one I did like. The garment on the right in this picture is a jumpsuit. On the dummy, it looked like a kind of wrap style. With a collar. And three quarter length, lightly tapered legs. With pockets. And a fold in the trouser part which is obviously part of the opening and provides some interest.
Ehm... Check, check and check. Does it come in other colours than white?

It's been a very long time since I have even remotely considered buying something purely for the look and inspired by the window display.
I didn't have time to enter the store and the thing on though.

Today, I thought it would be fun to blog about it so I decided to try and find the item on the Zara website.

I still loved it in the picture shown above, but then, I went to the product information (which also taught me it doesn't come in any other colours). Well... I don't love it anymore. These pictures actually show the construction details a lot better than the window display did. It's not actually a wrapped garment. That belt is a separate piece. The jumpsuit itself is a wide thing, folded to close. It's not clear whether or not that fold is secured by anything else than the belt (if I made this, there would be hidden buttons but if there aren't the garment would be easier to wear for people with different body shapes). Still clever, still interesting but a bit too loose for my taste. And I thought it had sort of calf length legs but this model is 175 cm (it says so in the information), which is substantially taller than I am and it's ankle length on her.
I may still go and try it on, if I can find a good time and opportunity. It would be nice to study the details of the pattern and construction. 

So there you have it. I really started up my computer today with the idea of writing about a great item in RTW but there's just no stopping the picky pattern nerd with the retro-ish tastes ;)

3 comments:

  1. This is so funny, I see this jumpsuit everyday on my way to the office and I love it on the doll at the window, but have never really be in the shop to have a closer look, now I'm curious to see whether it's loose or buttoned hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't bought any new clothing for a long time, exactly for the same reason. I start looking at the fabric, the finishing, the fit and decide it's not something I'd like to wear. Except for skinny jeans, I buy 1 or 2 pairs a year, because I never get around making them.
    I like jumpsuits too, and I've been keeping an eye on the Ralph Pink pattern, but I can't get past the fact that I'd have to get undresses when I go to the lady's room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I make the more snobby I become about RTW. However I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes into stores purely to check out the insides of garments! :-)

    ReplyDelete