October 14, 2013

I hate it when that happens...

This morning, when I should be getting dressed, I tried on that dress muslin I made yesterday. I didn't take pictures because the fabric I used was a bit transparent. In general, the design worked well. It just required some little tweaks, like adjusting the elbow dart. The skirt seemed really promising, especially for that check fabric.

When I got home this afternoon, I was keen to start cutting the fabric. Because it was only 90 cm wide, I had to go with a single layer lay-out.
And then this happened:

There's no way I can get the other half of the bodice on there.
I really didn't like that. 
Of course, I could switch fabrics, but I was really looking forward to making that skirt in that fabric.

So, I spent this evening to re-doing the bodice design.
Now, I'm going to make something like this:

Button-down front, shirt collar, set-in sleeves. It should be a lot less fabric-consuming. I'm going to try it out tomorrow.
Wish me luck ;)

3 comments:

  1. Indeed I do wish you luck. I do not often comment, but I read your blog all the time....ready for when I start dressmaking again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, I think everyone has experienced the lack of enough fabric which makes us redesign. But it doesn't make the disappointment any less there. I am sure that with your redesign you will make a lovely garment. I look forward to seeing it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, that sucks. It looks from here like that last piece could fit. Is there anything there that won't show in it's whole aspect (i.e. could you piece a pattern piece together from shorter parts and make sure the piecing seam is hidden or obscured by a fold/drape?

    ReplyDelete