September 5, 2012

New territory

Do you recognise my latest purchase? I know this is no way to show it off (on a rug to protect the new table and surrounded by all kinds of stuff...) but still, I'd only just carried it into the house.

It's a knitting machine, a Brother KH 710 to be precise. I don't really know how old it is but there's one picture with a person in it in the manual (well, just a bit of torso) and judging from her clothes I'd say 1960's. 
I bought it, I think, cheaply in an online auction.

As you may know by now, I hardly knit. I've made two perfectly wearable items but they took me a very long time. I only learned how to knit a few years ago and I've never been able or willing to invest the time to get good and fast at it. And of course, my lovely grandmother has volunteered to knit for me twice. 

However, all of that doesn't mean I'm not interested in knitted clothing. I always study the knitting patterns in my vintage magazines and I bought a book last year which explains a method to make one's own knitting patterns. This is not something I would ever consider submitting my grandmother to, but if I can knit by machine....

I'm afraid working with this machine will require a bit of a learning curve but fortunately, I have the manual. Testing it out may have to wait till Friday, but I'm really curious.
Does anyone have any good advice on the subject?

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how you get on, I love the idea of a knitting machine and keep thinking of getting one but I've got nowhere to put it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you even start, check the spongebar, you will probably have to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck. Look for youtube videos because I found while learning that the books can skip some things. Like making sure you push the stitchs back while casting on. Otherwise they will just fall off the machine. Watching other people do it helped a lot. Are there any knitting machine guilds or groups around your area? They can be a great help.

    Also I agree check the sponge bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I would absolutely loooove a knitting machine :) It is next on my list of big (as in size) purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooohhh goodluck! Ive always been curious about these too....we had a lady come in during one of my lectures and show us (vaguely) how they work. She was from a guild in Canberra and she said that they were welcome to all skill types and was very enthusiastic about us coming along. Id say that would be some valuable info right there!
    Look forwatd to seeing what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mom has one (note HAS) she still does a lot of knitting on it, and the real trick is to use the wheights provided, otherwise the stitches do not hold on the needles. Otherwise, just take measurements -

    Oh,a nd ALWAYS make a sample square to test tension and count rows and stitches to determine the sizing of the garment.

    Other than that, you should be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a find! I've always wanted a knitting machine.

    ReplyDelete