September 12, 2010

Stripes and autumn colours

Well, here's creation number two in my colour coordinated plan for autumn/winter dressing... And I'm not entirely sure about it.

I bought the fabric because I've started to like turquoise more and more this past year (see my 50's dress, for example). It would also provide a fun, fresh note among all those warm, rich jewel tones. And was part of that Marni colour palet I liked so much.
And the stripes... Well, I couldn't just use plain fabrics, could I? I've never worn a lot of obvious stripes, but sometimes they apeal to me for their fresh, clean look.

It started out as a basic t-shirt shape with an impressive, 1930's style sleeve shape. I played with this shape before, but, back then, I kept the points higher and closer to the arm and added gathers. This time around, it's the full cowl-sleeve as described here.

I should have realised the risk of using horizontal stripes with a very broad shoulder. At first fitting, with a high neckline this top looked very bad indeed.
My boyfriend, usually a good judge of whether or not a certain look suits me, kept asking whether or not this was the 'real' fabric.
Fortunately, I realised that opening up the neckline improved it considerably. I sort of like it now, although it will take me a while to get used to it. I usually don't wear broad shouldered things or this colour and stripes. How well it's going to work with the rest of my planned autumn clothes remains to be seen. I'm wearing it here with my charcoal grey flared trousers.

5 comments:

  1. I like the top. The sleeves are amazing. I love your blog & I've learnt a lot from your postings. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely top! The stripes and the sleeves makes this top so daring. It's a good look for you. You should definitely make more (smile).
    ~Victoria
    tenthousandsewinghours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fabric is just fine. Sometimes it's good to step outside your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting top! I like it. You've done a magnificent job with the striped fabric, which of course can be tricky to match up well. Yours is perfect!
    I saw a slightly similar sleeve effect on a dress here in Perth recently, but it was a fitted mini dress in ivory, and the sleeve tops had been simply pleated to stand high, and were unenclosed in the top of the shoulder seam. Just the inner edge of the pleats had been attached to the shoulder. It was so interesting, and as you can imagine I was surreptitiously studying intently it while trying not to stare at the girl wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it on you. I definitely think the lower neckline looks better than a high neckline would. The sleeves are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete